03. Kaulah Harapan - Sari Simonangkir

Friday, 9 May 2008

unpredictable

Somebody I know for about 7 years passed away two days ago.

She succumbed to depression and ended her own life, jumping off a 12-storey building,
nobody knowing what went on her mind then.

Here is a girl whose face was constantly donned with a smile.
I can still remember how she would greet me with her infectious smile that would brighten anyone's gloomiest day.

And I do not even have a picture of her.

I questioned my input in her life.
I have seen quite a few students' death, but those did not affect me as much as this one.
I guess, having seen her in church from day 1 makes the difference.

I am feeling very sorry,
that I hadn't done anything more significant besides giving her hugs,
that I didn't follow through her spiritual walk despite her being one high functioning student in my zone,
that I cut off interactions with her in recent years and overlooked the seriousness of her depression.

It wasn't a very strong relationship I had with her.
In fact, I do not form strong relationship with JAMs students...
But she was one student close to my heart.

Death is unpredictable, but not unexpected...
Even as I mourn for the loss of this one student, I am reminded of the vulnerability of the people around me - those who constantly struggle with depression, those who live their lives without their friends or even themselves understanding them..

I'm failing the past vision..
I like to be one who can fill the gap and to be the shelter.
Yet..
Let it overflow once again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very moving read.
Press on!
One of life's struggles is that we always feel we haven't done enough, haven't served enough, haven't loved enough.


You have always done the things that are pleasing to him